Q: Can you explain what SIDS is and what it is caused by?
A: SIDS stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. The truth is there is no known reason why it happens. What is known is that it is the leading cause of death in infants between 1 month and 1 year of age and the third leading cause of death in infants birth to 1 year of age (behind congenital abnormalities and short gestation/low birth weight).
Even though the cause is not known there are some things one can do to lower the risk.
• Babies sleep safer on their back.
• Do not allow smoking around your baby.
• Do not let your baby become too hot or too cold while sleeping.
• Avoid products that claim they reduce the risk of SIDS. Most have not been tested for safety and effectiveness.
• Keep soft objects such as toys and loose bedding out of your baby’s sleep area.
• Keep you baby close, but NOT in your bed during his/her sleeping times.
These are just a few things you can do to reduce the risk SIDS. If you would like more information please contact the Woman’s Enrichment Center. We can be contacted at 706-745-7518 during our regular business hours of Tuesdays 9am to 7pm, Wednesdays and Thursdays 9am to 4pm. We are located at 218 Jones Street in Blairsville next to Fire Station 10.